Friday 7 May 2010

Space Shuttle Atlantis - Final Voyage!

On May 14th 2010 the Space Shuttle Atlantis will roar into the heavens for what will most likely be her final flight... and I will be there to see her go!
I remember watching the first flight of the Shuttle, when I was 11 years old. The teachers has squashed the whole school into a classroom at school in England. A television was rolled out and switched on and we sat and watched...
I had always had an interest in space and NASA and seeing the Shuttle launch started a life long ambition to one day see one fly. 29 years later the dream is finally coming true (as long as a certain volcano doesn't spoil the party).
When I heard last year that the Shuttle was being retired at the end of this year I really didn't believe it would happen. I mean how could something as iconic as the Space Shuttle no longer be flying? But then of course I could say the same of Concorde. Both vehicles suffering from the same issue, funding. When it became clear this would be the last year I made a decision that I had to make a launch, no matter what the cost.
A couple of weeks ago I entered a draw being held by NASA. They are holding a special tweetup at Kennedy Space Centre for followers of @NASA and were selecting 150 people from all those who applied to attend the 2 day event. So I entered not expecting to be selected only to get an email confirming I had been picked! Not only would I be able to see the launch, it would be from the VIP/Press area, the closest point you can get during a launch. To add to that we would get a tour, meet astronauts and shuttle engineers and get a look behind the scenes, to see the cogs that make the space programme engine run. If that wasn't inspiration enough to go then nothing would be.
So in 5 days I will head off from Gatwick to Orlando for what I expect will be one of the most amazing sights I will ever get to see.

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading your blog about this!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time. There is something sad about the shuttle not flying and no alternative available.

    I was at KSC back in March and, even though it wasn't a launch, it was still amazing. All the history ... and freeze-dried ice cream. :o) Just watch the birds when you've got food outside. They will fly down and steal some right off your tray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always was fascinated by the space shuttle too. It flew over Montreal at its beginning, on top of the 747, and I was able to see it. That was a very cool 20 seconds of my life.

    When I was a teenager, I said to myself that I would go see a shuttle launch someday. I guess I never will as I am unable to go for May 14... Too bad.

    Take a lot of pics and share them with us!

    Have a great trip and I wish you very good weather and no technical issues!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time - what a fantastic experience.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete